Sunday, January 1, 2012

What kind of roof rack would transport two kayaks on my 03 Saturn Ion?

I do not have a rack on my car yet and I really want to buy two kayaks. Can someone tell me exactly what kind of equipment I need, approximate cost and if I can do it myself or if I need to have it done somewhere. Thanks!|||There are many solutions for carrying kayaks with your vehicle. Before anyone can help answer your question, you need to answer some questions yourself!





1. How many and what type of boats do you need to carry?


2. What else will you carry on top -- bikes, luggage boxes?


3. Will you always have help loading your boat? Or will you you have to load/unload solo?


4. Are you average height and strength? Or are you built like Freya Hoffmeister?


5. Will the rack need to be easily removed -- i.e. do you have to fit in a low garage on non-paddling days?


6. What is your budget? (YOU set this one).





I have owned and installed a several different Yakima and Thule racks on several vehicles, both mine and family members. I just purchased a kayak trailer (but haven't received it yet). There are some neat systems out there, but I'd advise looking at your needs and planning well.





Both Yakima and Thule have websites with fit calculators:


http://www.yakima.com/


http://www.thuleracks.com/





Be aware that there are many rack accessories that will work with the Thule and Yakima base racks... so, for example, you can get cradles that aren't made by either company, but that will work fine on their bars.





I purchase most of my rack gear at either:


http://www.rackattack.com/


http://www.orsracksdirect.com/





If you always have loading/unloading help, pretty much anything will work. If you are huge like Freya, you can bench press a Saturn Ion so lifting a boat is no problem, and again, anything will work.





If you have to load solo, you are not huge, and you have an unlimited budget, I'd recommend the Thule Hullivators. They are expensive, but they work as advertised.





If you have to load solo, you are not huge, and you don't have an unlimited budget, there are some hull-down roller-type systems that might work if you are tall enough to get the nose of the boat up on the back of the Saturn.





If you need to load more than 2 boats, or bikes and a box are necessary, you will probably have to go with J-type cradles to save room on the crossbars. Loading is pretty tricky if you are solo, but Yakima and Thule both have fold-down models now that reduce the rack profile when not in use.





If you have to remove the rack during the week, you will have to go either will a simple foam block system, or find a Thule/Yakima "quick-release" type of fit kit. I'm not sure they have those for the Saturn Ion... but if you can get the "Tracker" type racks to work they are super-easy to remove/install. I had a set of these on an old 4Runner, and they installed/removed in under 2 minutes (including walk time).





Don't forget that not all racks work well with all types of boats. J-cradles may not work with very wide boats. "Stacker" type racks are not the best for the gel coat on a nice composite sea kayak, but would be OK for plastic white-water boats





The last suggestion I would have is to consider a kayak trailer, especially if you have to load solo and/or plan to do a lot of paddling. These are not cheap, but they are generally well-reviewed by their owners. Two popular brands are "Sportsrig" and "Rack and Roll." I just ordered a trailer myself.





http://www.sportsrig.com/


http://www.rackandroll.com/





Put some time into figuring out what you need and you will be much happier later...





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment