Sunday, January 1, 2012

Do you think I'd have any luck selling FIBERGLASS KAYAKS on craigslist?

I wan't to make some fiberglass kayaks, and sell them on craigslist for around 250 bucks.


Do people buy kayaks all the time.|||Depends on the boat models and how good your finishing skills are. What mold are you using? Kind of hard to imagine you would make much profit considering the cost of materials and the amount of time required for layup. My best friend made a fiberglass whitewater boat 20 some years ago, a 12' Olympic slalom style on an Augsburger mold, and it cost her over $100 in materials back then and around 40 hours of work. FG yaks have to be pretty well reinforced if they are going to be used for whitewater. You might get more for making a good FG flatwater kayak since the cheaper rotomold plastic longboats are so freaking heavy, but, again, you're talking a lot of detail (bulkheads, hatches, deck rigging.)





So it's kind of hard to answer your question without more detail. BTW, that kayak I told you my friend made -- I sold it last year on Craigslist for $140.|||I think you may. I check out the kayaks on craiglist almost everyday looking for a deal.|||They would have to be very good for people to buy them, but I think that is a good idea.|||if you WANT to make kayaks and sell them, sounds great.


However, you'll have to look into the costs, including your time to build, not to mention making sure that they are strong enough to handle whatever anyone might (figuratively) throw at it.


A friend of mine has a company building canoes, and they had to go through years of testing and certification to be able to sell to the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment