Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why do so many people like using kayaks for fishing? Whats the big deal?

What makes so many people like them? They are cramped up I think. Whats the big deal?|||there are a lot of reasons. you can modify and rig a kayak for fishing in so many different ways. it also forces people to only take the gear needed for the trip, and not load down the boat with everything they own, thinking that they will need it.





this helps fishermen become better, because they pay attention to the area they are in, rather than where they think that they need to fish. it is very stealthy, so you don't spook the fish with the big prop of the motor sitting down in the water.





all of the silence makes for a very peaceful day on the water. kayak fishing can be a cheap way to get you and your family out on the water. if you haven't yet, give it a shot!|||The reason i kayak is because i love the quick and silent approach to fishing out of them. it also makes it more challenging because you have a very limited area of storage. the thrill is also a factor in my opinion. The ability to float atop the water and see everything around you from a low level. and the ability to move quickly makes you feel like you are flying because of its gracefulness if done properly. I love it for all these reasons and more, and my kayak and i will stick together as long as it lasts.|||Personally, I can't see fishing from a sit inside kayak, but my 'yak... I tell ya why I like my 'yak... (this is her, by the way, but she's red, and rigged a bit differently: http://www.heritagekayaks.com/redfish12a鈥?/a> )





A sit on top is anything but cramped... I get to stretch out and even recline and just take in the sun... Flush-mounted rod holders behind my seat so they're out of the way, "dry" storage both in front of my feet and behind my seat (got to admit, there's no such thing as completely 100% dry in a 'yak, but oh well, if you don't want it getting wet, either don't take it or put it in a ziplock) That little tie-down area in back is great for a cooler or anything else you might want to bring with you... you learn after a while not to load yourself down too much... She's quiet... and not just from topside, I can't tell you how many redfish I've come up on that don't move until my shadow crosses them... I can get up in skinny skinny water where the "real" boats can't go, and not only do I not scare the fish, I also don't scare the manatees or dolphins either... (although I will admit, they do scare me from time to time... you try to keep from jumping when a manatee comes up less than a foot away from you and sneezes)... She's stable enough to stand up in to get an idea of what's swimming around in your vicinity (the one drawback to being so close to the water... can't see crap sometimes)... She's lightweight and I don't need a boat ramp to launch... see somewhere that looks promising? Pull over and throw the boat in... a yak's a LOT more stable than a canoe, and when you live somewhere like where I live where there's a lot of water and not a lot of launches, being able to just throw the boat in the water is a huge advantage. Also, there's nothing like hooking into a decent sized redfish and being taken along for a little ride.





Now I'm not saying that kayak fishing is all fun and games, and just to prove it, here's the downsides....





No matter what direction the wind was coming from when you left, it ~will~ be against you when you head back in. People in "real" boats don't watch out for you (one of the reasons I went with red)... have safety equipment, including whistle and light... you never expect to be caught out after dark, but remember what I said about the wind... Sunburn... Yes, everyone out on the water is prone to it, but combine sunburn with sore muscles from paddling all day and you've got misery... Trolling a bait or lure behind the yak is fun... just remember... one line at a time when trolling (one day I might make outriggers... until then, I will never try it again)





There's other advantages and drawbacks, but I'm already prone to rambling without wracking my brain for it, so there you go for now...|||A few years back I got into fishing out of canoes and piroughs for some reason. I quickly found out that on a hook set the entire boat scooted toward the fish and it was extremely hard to set the hook in the fish out of the lightweight boats. I gave up on the idea.Now I just use them to get into isolated places to hunt.|||I fish from a kayak because I can launch it anywhere. There are a lot of ponds near me that have hand carry boat launches. Some involve walking a mile or more from the closest vehicle access. Some don't allow motorboats. A kayak is easier top paddle than a canoe, lighter to carry, more stable and if you have the right kayak it's just as comfortable. My kayak has 2 rod holders for trolling and an electronic fish finder. I would not be as comfortable installing a fish finder on a canoe because there is more probability of it getting wet. In addition to that it's just plain fun getting dragged by a big striper or northern pike.

No comments:

Post a Comment