Sunday, January 1, 2012

Do inflatable kayaks work well ? Want to buy one that fits in my car?

I want to get a inflatable kayak but I have a small car, so I won't be able to transport it well. I want to use it a kayak for camping trips and working out.|||There are several advantages to owning an inflatable kayak :





鈥n inflatable easily packs up into its storage bag and can be transported in the trunk of your car.


鈥hey are extremely stable and in fact are near impossible to sink or tip. Consequently they are perfect for kids or for those who do not have much experience out on the water.


鈥hey are inexpensive. Although the price range can vary greatly it is no problem getting a good quality model for not a lot of money.


鈥hey can easily pack away in a small space or a closet.|||Believe it or not, you can carry a full sized kayak on a small car. My 18.5 foot sea kayak rides very well on my sports car (solid top). One friend said it seemed odd to her but then saw an original Mini Cooper (much smaller than the current one) with two kayaks on it.





However, another friend bought an inflatable as her "guest" kayak to bring along when kayak-less friends wanted to join her. Several of us tried it out one weekend and were all surprised how nice it paddled. If you don't have storage space or want a kayak on top of your car, they are definitely a good option.|||We put 2 12 foot kayaks on a roof rack on our Mazda 3. That said we recently went to a state park with an extensive kayak trail system. We watched a couple of inflatables go by and they looked a lot better than I expected. My concern would be that since they aren't as rigid as solid kayaks, there will be energy loss on each paddle stroke meaning harder work for same distance (we kayak in open water of bays and even the ocean) but when I saw these two it looked like they weren't experiencing that problem (they looked like high-end models). I've know people who have had mid-range inflatables and loved them, but they were using them as play boats (I am a mid-level flat water and ocean kayakers and I have friends who are VERY serious kayakers with special boats for every condition and I have friends who just like to paddle around under ideal conditions).



But my biggest piece advice on buying ANY kayak is to test it under the conditions you will be using it. I bought one that was just not right for me and hated it (my second kayak), a very popular brand, I tested the replacement I bought an loved it (I had actually use that type before on a long trip).|||Disadvantages: 1] inefficiencies of friction compared with a sleek sea kayak mounted to your roof, $2,500-$5,000; 2] potential for puncture.|||yeah but you might want to deflate it first it might fit better|||Inflatable Kayaks are guaranteed to let you down just when you need their SUPPORT the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment